1. The Ebers Papyrus was written around 1550 BC, that’s over 3500 years ago. Did you know it is one of the oldest finished medical textbooks? There are a number of formulations which use Hemp to subside the pain and inflammation caused by various injuries and diseases. One of these formulations is Asthma. The formulation includes herbs which are heated on a brick, and the patient inhales the fumes. Source: https://www.ancient-origins.net/history-ancient-traditions/versatile-plant-what-were-many-uses-cannabis-ancient-egypt-007733
2. DYK women in Ancient Egypt, in particular, used Cannabis to waive off psychological problems like depression.
3. DYK in 1975, The Journal of American Review of Respiratory Disease conducted an experiment to treat Asthma? The results were “after experimental induction of acute bronchospasm prompt correction of the bronchospasm with cannabis.” The patients were given Methacholine which causes bronchospasm. Bronchospasm is the spasm of the bronchus by constriction of the muscles in the walls of the bronchioles. These are the same symptoms an asthmatic has during an asthma attack. The patients were then given 500 mg of smoked marijuana of 2% THC. The results concluded that prompt correction, reversal of asthma, was produced.
Source:Tashkin DP, Shapiro BJ, Lee YE, Harper CE. Effects of smoked marijuana in experimentally induced asthma. American Review of Respiratory Disease 1975;112(3):377-386
4. DYK when they uncovered the mummy of Pharaoh Ramesses II in 1881, Traces of Cannabis were in the remains. This confirmed the suspension that cannabis was a regular part of the ancient Egyptian culture.
5. DYK the first original flag with thirteen silver stars was sown over 240 years ago, and was made of hemp?
6. DYK George Washington grew hemp at his home in Mount Vernon? George kept meticulous diaries where he noted “Sowed hemp at muddy hole by swamp” away from the hemp he grew for fiber. “Began to separate the male from female plants at do [sic –rather too late” and “Pulling up the (male) hemp. Was too late for the blossom hemp by three weeks or a month” indicates he was going for female plants with higher THC content. There is also indication he used hemp preparations to deal with his toothaches.
7. DYK Thomas Jefferson was Ambassador to France during the Hashish era? At risk for imprisonment if caught, Jefferson smuggled Hemp seeds from China; known for their higher potency.
8. DYK James Madison, the “Father of the Constitution” claimed that hemp gave him the insight to create a new democratic nation.
9. DYK JFK used Cannabis to deal with his back pain. According to his biography “John F. Kennedy: A Biography”, which described this White House scene: “On the evening of July 16, 1962, according to [Washington Post executive] Jim Truitt, Kennedy and Mary Meyer smoked marijuana together. The president smoked three of the six joints Mary brought to him. At first he felt no effects. Then he closed his eyes and refused a fourth joint. ‘Suppose the Russians did something now,’ he said.”
10. DYK, Henry Ford’s first Model T was built to run on Hemp gasoline and was constructed purely from hemp. The car, grown from the soil, had hemp plastic panel and was 10 times stronger than steel.
11. DYK women in Jamaica smoke Cannabis while pregnant? Like the Ancient Egyptians, Jamaican women smoke to alleviate the ailments of pregnancy and life. In a study done by Miami Children’s Hospital, 59 Jamaican women were studied during pregnancy. The babies were tested at 1, 3, and 30 days. Then at 4 and 5 years for follow up. At 30 days the babies to Cannabis mothers tested higher in autonomic stability and reflexes. At 1 and 3 days, 4 and 5 years; all he groups were the same. The reason for the 30 day increase is due to the natural time of when the nerves begin to mylelinate. At 4 and 5 years the babies were all the same due to socioeconomic status and educational level. No negative signs or symptoms were noted.
12. DYK between the years of 1600-1890s Domestic production of Hemp was encouraged. In 1619 the state of Virginia Assembly passed a legislation that required every farmer to grow Hemp. Hemp was allowed to be exchanged as legal tender in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland.